Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Understanding Al-Fatihah

The first chapter of Qur’an, which is repeated during the prayers, includes a remarkable summary of the criteria of a Muslim’s life and needs. Half of it consists of praises to God and the other is a prayer seeking God’s Guidance and help to avoid becoming one of those who have gone astray.

The Prophet (s.a.w) in Hadith Qudsi, a direct quotation of God’s Words, said:

“I have divided prayer between Myself and My Servant, two halves, and My Servant shall have what he has asked for. When the servant says, ‘Al-hamdu lillahi rabbi ‘l-`alamin (Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds)’, God says, ‘My servant has praised Me’. And when he says, ‘Ar-rahmani ar-rahim (the Merciful, the Compassionate)’, God says, ‘ My servant has extolled Me’. When he says, ‘Maliki yawmi ‘d-din (Master of the Day of Judgement), God says, ‘My servant has glorified Me’. And when he says, ‘Iyyaka na’budu wa iyyaka nasta’in (It is You we worship and it is You we ask for help)’, He says, ‘This is between Me and My servant and My servant shall have what he has asked for’. And when he says, ‘Ihdina ‘sirata ‘l-mustaqim; sirata ‘l-ladhina an amta ‘alayhim, ghayri ‘l-maghdubi, ‘alayhim wa la ‘d-dallin (Guide us to the Straight Path, the Path of those upon whom You have bestowed Your Favours, not that of those upon whom You are Wrath, nor of those who are astray)’, He says, ‘My Servant shall be guided’.”

May He guide us all. Insya-Allah.

No comments:

Post a Comment