Sunday, August 2, 2009

Divine Knowledge

A wise man said, “Ever since I started to act upon the knowledge of four principles, I got rid of all knowledge in the world.” When asked what those principles were, he said, “One is when I know for certain that what I am destined to get can neither be increased or decreased by my desire to get more, I feel satisfied. Secondly, I know that I have a duty to God which cannot be discharged by anyone except me and therefore I set about it. Thirdly, I know that I cannot escape death. Fourthly, when I know that whatever I do never escapes the sight of my Lord, I refrain from all evil deeds, since when the servant of God knows that He is aware of everything, he abstains from evil deeds for fear of punishment in the hereafter.”

Briefly speaking, knowledge is a good attribute and is the full understanding and explanation of one who is known (ma’lum). The best quality of knowledge is this: That it turns the ignorant into the wise. God’s knowledge comprehends everything existent or non-existent, and there is none to share that knowledge. It is neither divisible nor separable from Him. And the proof of His knowledge is incidence of His action, because action necessitates knowledge on the part of the actor. Divine knowledge embraces everything hidden and manifest. We should believe that God sees whatever we do and nothing escapes Him.

This is evident from the story of a rich man who went to his garden and saw the beautiful wife of his gardener sitting with her husband. He managed to send the husband away on some pretext and told the woman to close all doors. She said, “I have closed all doors except one which I cannot close.” “Which one?” asked he. “The one between us and our Lord,” she replied. As soon as he got this reply, he felt ashamed and prayed to the Almighty for forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment